Dandruff can be a very embarrassing condition to have because it is so noticeable to others, but many people have had or will have dandruff at some point in their life. People who have dandruff are always looking for ways to eliminate those white flakes for good, but since there are so many different dandruff treatments out there, it can be difficult to choose the best one for you. While some treatments are permanent, others turn out to be temporary. When eliminating dandruff, most people understandably want to find a permanent solution; one that will keep flakes at bay forever.
Depending on the cause of your dandruff, this can be done, but you may have to make a small change in your hair and skin care habits to keep the dandruff away. Dandruff can be caused by hair product sensitivity, skin conditions, and not shampooing enough, but the most common cause is dry skin. Here are 12 treatments you can do or make at home that have been proven to get rid of dandruff:
1. Change Your Hair Product
Sometimes dandruff can be eliminated simply by changing the styling products you use or applying less product than you normally do. If you prefer to let an extra day go by before you wash your hair, try styling your hair on the second day with homemade cocnut oil hairspray. The coconut oil will provide the moisture your scalp needs and will be less likely to flake in your hair.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and pour into an empty, clean spray bottle.
- Add 1 cup of filtered water and 3 drops of lavender essential oil (it will make your hair smell clean).
- Shake before spraying on dry, damp or wet hair.
2. Coconut Oil Will Get Rid of Dandruff
Since a dry scalp is the most common cause of dandruff, it’s no surprise that coconut oil is an effective treatment for dandruff. To eliminate your unwanted white flakes, you will need to repeat this treatment about once or twice per week. Your hair will receive a few other benefits from the coconut oil as well.
- Wash your hair, but do not apply any conditioner and dry your hair completely.
- Apply as much cocunut oil as you need to cover your scalp.
- Try not to rub the oil on the rest of your hair, unless you want to use it as a hair treatment at the same time.
- Wash the oil out and style as usual.
3. Eggs are a Surprising Dandruff Eliminator
Hair masks are not typically made of eggs, but this one will help to eliminate dandruff. The vitamin A found in egg yolks work with your hair to produce more sebum, which will help to prevent dandruff. Only attempt this treatment if you are not too sensitive to odors, as egg yolks can create a bad smell.
- Separate 1 or 2 egg yolks and whip
- Apply only to scalp area – try to avoid the rest of your hair
- Cover your head with a plastic bag, being careful not to let the egg drip out
- After 1 hour, shampoo the egg out of your hair
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Can Aid in Getting Rid of Dandruff
ACV is a well-known natural treatment for many ailments and is becoming more known as a hair conditioner. This is exactly how it should be used for those who want to get rid of dandruff.
- Mix one part ACV and one part water in a measuring cup
- Shampoo your hair and rinse
- Caefully pour the ACV/water mixture over your scalp and hair
- Massage it into your scalp
- Rinse and style as usual – after your hair is dry it will not smell like vinegar
Raw honey has been proven to have a host of benefits for the body and skin. It is full of vitamins and minerals and can help to keep sickness at bay. It is also a great home remedy for dandruff.
- Make a paste with 90% raw honey, 10% warm water
- Massage into scalp for 5 to 10 minutes, trying to avoid the rest of your hair
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water or wash as usual
- Repeat twice a week until dandruff is gone
6. Olive Oil
Olive oil is one of the easiest ways to treat dandruff. This oil has well-known health benefits for your body, skin and hair, so you can apply it to just your scalp, or all over your hair for added benefits.
- Before washing, apply olive oil to your scalp while hair is dry
- Wait 10 minutes, and wash it out
- Style as usual
Vodka is a very effective dandruff treatment and can also be used as a hair rinse or face wash. This alcohol has a low ph level and is safe to use on your hair and skin, but not recommended for everyday use unless it is diluted and mixed with other products.
- Pour a half cup of vodka into a bowl along with 2 teaspoons of crushed Rosemary leaves
- Let the mixture sit for 2 days
- Strain into another container
- Massage the liquid into scalp for 10 minutes and let sit for an hour
- Wash your hair as usual
8. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has been found to be a very effective treatment for dandruff, both on its own and in addition to other remedies. There are 2 ways you can use tea tree oil to get rid of dandruff.
- Add a few drops to your shampoo and wash your hair as usual OR
- Add a few drops of the oil to a carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba oil and apply directly to your scalp for 5 minutes before washing it out
Drinking lemon juice helps to restore your body’s natural ph levels to normal, and it does the same for your scalp which makes lemon juice an effective treatmentfor dandruff. Your hair and scalp also have an optimum ph level and it is important to keep it balanced.
- Juice a half to 1 lemon and apply the juice to your scalp and hair
- Let it sit about 25 minutes – your scalp may itch during this time, but this is a normal reaction to the treatment
- Wash your hair as usual
This spice has so many benefits for the inside of the body and some surprising ones for the outside as well. Turmeric is just as effective in getting rid of dandruff as it is for other ailments it cures.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and either 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil
- Massage the paste into your scalp, trying to avoid the rest of your hair
- Let it sit for at least 1 hour, up to 3 if you can
- Wash your hair as usual
11. Bananas are a Surprising Way to Get Rid of Dandruff
Banana treatment is not recommended for those who struggle with a more severe dandruff problem. If you are just starting to notice dandruff, a banana paste can help to eliminate it at this stage.
- Peel one banana and mix it with either 2 cups of vinegar or 2 tablespoons of honey
- Mix together until it forms a paste
- Massage into your scalp, covering all of your hair for about 10 minutes
- Let it sit for 15 minutes
- Rinse or wash it out and repeat once a day for at least 1 week
12. Drink More Water
This is definitely not a short-term solution, but if you have dandruff because of dry skin, the best thing you can do to eliminate dandruff in the long run is to make sure your body is properly hydrated. The inside of your body is not the only part of you that will benefit from drinking the right amount of water; your skin, scalp and hair will thank you as well. If drinking water is hard for you, try adding a little lemon juice for a fresh taste. Find a water bottle with a straw, because sipping through a straw will help to hydrate you better than drinking a glass of water all at once. You should aim for at least 2 litres of water per day.
Featured photo credit: Nevada31 via shutterstock.com
The post 12 Homemade Treatments To Get Rid Of Dandruff Quickly appeared first on Lifehack.